Pride

 

When we sin we revolt against God. If we don't even think we 

are sinners, but that we are "good people," we are delusional. 

Only God is good.

 

"Then Jesus told this story to some who had great confidence

 in their own righteousness and scorned everyone else: “Two 

men went to the Temple to pray. One was a Pharisee, and the 

other was a despised tax collector.  The Pharisee stood by 

himself and prayed this prayer: ‘I thank you, God, that I am 

not like other people—cheaters, sinners, adulterers. 

I’m certainly not like that tax collector! I fast twice a 

 

week, and I give you a tenth of my income.’

 

“But the tax collector stood at a distance and dared not even 

lift his eyes to heaven as he prayed. Instead, he beat his chest 

in sorrow, saying, ‘O God, be merciful to me, for I am a sinner.’   

I tell you, this sinner, not the Pharisee,

returned home justified before God. For those who exalt themselves 

will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted"

 Luke 18:9-14


 

"And Jesus said unto him, “Why callest thou Me good? There is 

none good but One, that is, God."

 Mark 10:18

 

The most serious and widespread of the 7 deadly sins is pride. 

When we put ourselves above another person, even in thought, 

we are guilty of this sin. 

It is a revolt against God, it makes ourselves into god; our 

superb-ness, our cleverness, our success, our children's success, 

our good christian lives, our holiness, even spiritual 

achievements, our whatever it might be.

 

Protestants and others think that "Catholic guilt" is a thing akin to 

a psychological condition, ( mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima 

culpa), but what it is in reality is a higher self awareness of who 

we are vis à vis God; I am the guilty one, I am the one who is 

offending and revolting, again and again, by my thoughts, my 

words, my actions and my omissions. And by doing this I obscure 

God who needs my cooperation in order to shine His light in me. 

 

Our Ego; this package of ideas and beliefs about ourselves, 

is most often than not, held together by pride. 

It is a trap of delusions.

 

The "I" needs to diminish, and preferably disappear, in order 

to give space to the One who wants to unfold Himself in us. 

 

"He must increase, but I must decrease."

John 3:30

 

 "Even though I came first, I am not good enough to untie his sandals.

 John 1: 27

 

"The same is He that shall come after me, who is preferred before me: 

the latchet of whose shoe I am not worthy to loose."

John 1: 27


 
The only antidote to pride is to practice humility, but as this is in 
 
direct opposition to all worldly education, it is difficult for most 
 
people.
 
But being humiliated by others can be a great gift and an aid to us, 
 
if we accept it. 


The Magnificat

The Prayer Of Mary

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord, 
my spirit rejoices in God my Savior
for he has looked with favor on his lowly servant. 
From this day all generations will call me blessed: 
the Almighty has done great things for me, 
and holy is his Name.

He has mercy on those who fear him
in every generation. 
He has shown the strength of his arm, 
he has scattered the proud in their conceit.

He has cast down the mighty from their thrones, 
and has lifted up the lowly. 
He has filled the hungry with good things, 
and the rich he has sent away empty.

He has come to the help of his servant Israel
for he remembered his promise of mercy, 
the promise he made to our fathers, 
to Abraham and his children forever.

(Lk 1: 46-55)

No comments:

Post a Comment